Phase 1: April 2009
I ended up purchasing the van in March of 2009 from a donation yard. The first phase of construction, I was fortunate enough to stay at my mother's for two weeks while I built the van at a friend's house. The only power tools used were a chopsaw, drill, and jigsaw.
I bought things and tools for the van that first week, since I needed them in order to get measurements for the cabinetry and woodworking. The first fixture to go inside the van was the framework for the bed platform which is 2x3 resting on the wheelwell and screwed into the sidewalls. All other measurements and placements were based off of the bed platform.
The framework was made out of 2x2 pine with 3/4" plywood. All framework was built outside the van and then hoisted in through the barn doors.
Once the basic framework was in place, wiring for the 110v system was run to the different outlets in the van for the microwave, fridge, and what was going to be the computer behind the fridge. These pictures were taken after about three days of construction. I didn't have a camera with me as I was working on it so I had to snap shots at my grandparent's house.
|Nice and stealthy, first day I got it|
|Parked in the grandparents' driveway|
|From the back doors looking in. This van was probably used to move furniture. A few items I picked up are in the front, including the kitchen sink. Viva Craigslist!|
|My loving grandfather, wondering what the heck I'm getting into. Next to him is the queensized foam mattress I would eventually cut down to fit the bed platform.|
|Some goodies - camp stove and two six gallon tanks for water. These tanks are available in the store.|
|This is a simple box to house my batteries. The weathersealing makes the box close tight. A hole is drilled through the side and then linked to a vent on the side of the van.|
|Battery box closed. This went behind the driver seat|